Veteran's welfare and assistance has been carried on since 1916. During the 1914-1918 war years as wounded veterans returned home, women were asked to help with their recovery by visiting hospitals, sending parcels to the hospitalized and to needy families. These ladies served the veterans and their dependants.
The Ladies Auxiliary to Royal Canadian Legion Branch 176 received its charter in May 1937. Prior to receiving their charter twenty two ladies formed a local organization to assist the Branch after it had received its charter in 1930. Mrs. Archie MacDougall was the first charter President. Charter members were the officers and four ex-service women.
At the outbreak of war in 1939, the members entered into several wartime projects, sewing and assisting Blood Donor Clinics for the Red Cross in Forest and Camp Ipperwash and packing “Ditty Bags” containing soap, razor blades socks etc. to be sent overseas. In 1945-46 local servicemen were welcomed home and their war brides entertained.
The members of the Ladies' Auxiliary have worked closely with their Branch sitting on various committees, helping with the Poppy Campaign and other Legion activities.
The Ladies' Auxiliary has many fund raising activities throughout the year, and funds raised locally are given to assist the local Legion Branch, health facilities and other programs.
The Auxiliary enjoys friendly competition such as Cribbage, Darts (Single, Doubles & Teams) & Euchre Tournaments.
Membership is open to any female Canadian citizen or Commonwealth subject of federal voting age who supports the purposes and objects of the Legion and undertakes to support the activities of the Legion especially the annual Poppy Campaign.
Lest We Forget